HAL

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Fri Nov 5 05:08:25 PST 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 11:48:22PM +1300, Simon Geard enlightened us thusly
> Has anyone here played with HAL on an LFS system? I'm having a few
> issues getting it built.
>
> 1. It looks for the files pci.ids and usb.ids. Only the former is
> mandatory and a copy can be found under the kernel sources, but does
> anyone know where the official site for these files is? A search finds a
> lot of distro packages (hwdata) but no clear way of finding what the
> current version is or where to find it.
>
> 2. If I drop in the copy of pci.ids from the kernel tree, it gets past
> that check (usb.ids seems optional), but fails finding headers for
> libcap, specifically sys/capability.h. It builds successfully if I
> symlink to linux/capability.h, but I'm not sure if this is a fault in
> the LFS system or in what HAL is looking for...
>
> So, can anyone answer those questions?

AFAIK, the files pci.ods and usb.ids are on sourceforge, under their own
projects. I read the blurb and the logic is that the ids change quicker
than kernel versions. The usb utils (similar to pci utils) also has
usb.ids.

If you got it built with the symlink, why complain? People put libraries
in strange places sometimes. You'll probably find the guy who maintains
it has a strange box anyhow. That's the most common explanation :-).
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.