email solution?

Tony Sequeira tony at sequeira.com
Thu May 20 05:05:21 PDT 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004 12:47:25 +0100, Declan Moriarty wrote

> Tony Sequeira enlightened us
> > [Fairly long]

[...]
> I take it you have a permanent connection? House Lan? Broadband?

Both, a LAN with a couple of servers, a gateway/router and DSL.

> > fetchmail retrieving the familys email from many POP3 mailboxes.
> > gotmail doing the same for the hotmail accounts.
> > I believe there is a yahoo/hotmail POP program out there, maybe I'll
> > use that instead.
> >
> > Postfix/SPAM Assassin/AmavisD? checks all messages, marks as SPAM,
> > cleans (deviruses?) and delivers to local mailboxes.
>
> If this doesn't work quickly (spamassassin can be a bitch to set up)
try
> procmail for local delivery when you want to get clever. Ideally you
> want to sideline spam early on to save bandwidth

Thanks.  I have not really had a problem with the installation of SA
yet?  Frantically hunting for some wood to touch :)

> > Squirrelmail (or similar) for POP/IMAP access, reckon I need
> > Apache/Cyrus/MySQL here from my research.
>
> Don't follow this. Why? Have you IMAP? Do you need these to support
> hotmail?

I believe that you need Apache to support squirrelmail, same for MySQL.
 I may be wrong.

I want to spam/virus check all mail *before* the wife, kid or I see it,
hence squirrelmail for webmail access and Cyrus for POP/IMAP access.
Is this not right?  I want to provide a mini webmail/POP/IMAP/ server
environment just like an ISP (for the family members).

> > Am I on the right track?
>
> What's the right track? There are 150 right tracks.

:)), I think "Do What You Like" is among them.

> > I cannot find a howto that covers *exactly*
> > what I want to do, hence this posting.
>
> Write one (says he, always quick to give others work) :-)

Heh heh.  Maybe I will, if I remember to keep notes while I'm battling
with some esoteric problem at 02:00 and I have to get up at 05:45 for
work.

> > I'm not asking for a breakdown
> > of how to accomplish my aims,
> GOOD! :)

On form today eh Declan?

> >just pointers.
> >
> > Thank you for reading this far, (if you have).

Thanks, see above line.

--
Tony