"Light" gnome install (?)

eklirmr at wanadoo.fr eklirmr at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 3 12:23:34 PST 2004

On Wed Mar 03 2004 at 17:05:06 (+0000), Declan Moriarty wrote:
> You may also have 'installer's twitch' that ugly problem most of us left
> aside with windows. Chief symptom is you will install first and ask questions
> afterwards. The only question that matters is
>
> "Why the (expletive deleted) did I install that?"

On a related topic: why build LFS and then install Gnome?  My reason
for trying LFS and adding a few BLFS items was to have a fast and
simple system for e-mail and mainly text Web-browsing (and later
downloading pics from my digital camera ...), while learning a bit
about Linux on the way.

If I later decide I want Gnome, wouldn't it be easier just to install
Debian and say apt-get install Gnome?  Am I really going to learn very
much more from compiling all the Gnome libraries and packages by hand?

Paul

--
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/paul.bailey/