USB Problem?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Aug 11 03:42:34 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 20:31, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> Ewan Grantham enlightened us

> > > What happens if you try to load the drivers manually with modprobe?
> >
> > Modprobe or insmod, I get the drivers loaded (based on seeing them
> > with lsmod), but they don't seem to find the device. Which is why I'm
> > assuming it's a USB rather than driver issue.
>
> presuming you are on a 2.4x kernel, there were 4 modules for the
> controller, to be loaded after usbcore. I take it /proc/bus/usb exists;
> if not make that directory. I have these lines in modules.conf

Don't do that - you shouldn't be making files in /proc manually. The
empty /proc/bus/usb directory is created automatically when usbcore is
loaded (assuming usbfs is enabled in the kernel). You then mount usbfs
to that directory, like any filesystem (why they made mounting it a
manual process, I've no idea).

Simon.