/etc/host.conf

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at venus.sac.accd.edu
Fri Apr 30 12:45:12 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:26:18 +0100
> Declan Moriarty <declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie> wrote:
>

>>Nowadays all this is easier. There default search behaviour is set up
>>in/etc/host.conf, which didn't exist previously.
>

> I'm sure you intended to write '/etc/resolv.conf' there didn't you?
> /etc/hosts is now provided/used for those machines that can't be
> resolved via the dns servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf, or at least
> that's my understanding.  Networking has never been (and probably
> never will be) my strong point, so this may be subject to correction.

Almost right Matt.  The process you are referring to is in the resolver
built into glibc.  It looks at nsswitch.conf if it exists.  If it
doesn't exist, it will look for host.conf.  Basically host.conf got
depricated in glibc 6, but  the remnants for host.conf were left in for
backward compatabilty.

   -- Bruce