/etc/host.conf

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 30 10:25:08 PDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:26:18 +0100
Declan Moriarty <declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie> wrote:

> Nowadays all this is easier. There default search behaviour is set up
> in/etc/host.conf, which didn't exist previously.

I'm sure you intended to write '/etc/resolv.conf' there didn't you?
/etc/hosts is now provided/used for those machines that can't be
resolved via the dns servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf, or at least
that's my understanding.  Networking has never been (and probably
never will be) my strong point, so this may be subject to correction.

Cheers,

Matt.