/etc/host.conf

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Fri Apr 30 05:26:18 PDT 2004

shelton enlightened us
> I've read that /etc/host.conf can help system security.
> I've also read that only older versions of linux use
> /etc/host.conf
> Has the security this file provided been replaced by
> nsswitch.conf?
> Should I be concerned that a LFS 5.0 system doesn't include
> this file?

The above is partly true for /etc/hosts, and /etc/hosts.equiv
In the old days, /etc/host.conf didn't exist. Of course, the 'old days'
covers the entire software development stone age, and I'm sure many
things were tried.

I am fresh out of digging around in an old unix and /etc/hosts was 150K,
which would have been enough for a considerable listing of the
Internet in 1985. /etc/hosts.equiv was similarly huge.

You could only contact the machines in /etc/hosts; If an alias was used
it had to be in /etc/hosts.equiv, I believe.  I wasn't in computing
then. My "computer" at the time was a Sinclair Spectrum, which ran some
oddball OS and holds the record for the slowest ever basic interpeter.

Nowadays all this is easier. There default search behaviour is set up in
/etc/host.conf, which didn't exist previously. The advance is that you
can contact a host not in /etc/hosts by searching for it.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.