acpi and acpid

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Fri Apr 30 02:53:14 PDT 2004

On Friday 30 April 2004 11:16, Declan Moriarty wrote:
> Duane Cox enlightened us

[...]
> > At this point Im not sure the ACPI is working.  Even though they
> > are new 2004 servers and ACPI is detected and enabled on bootup of
> > the kernel....
>
> This could be hardware.
>
> The VIA chipset ACPI is a disaster area. I have Via chipset with a
> recent m/b and everything is assigned irq10 or irq11 :-(.

This reminds me of my brief experience with acpi. After much cludging I
got it to work only to notice a drastic (as in three or four times
slower) performance decline. After a little digging I discovered my mb
was blacklisted. Check out the file /drivers/acpi/blacklist.c in the
kernel source. If your mb is listed, don't even think of using acpi.

Regards - Allard.

allard at quicknet.nl