Woes with xpdf-3.00

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Thu Apr 29 08:35:32 PDT 2004

Ulrich Fahrenberg enlightened us
> Declan Moriarty, Apr 29, 09:40 +0100:
>
> > Ulrich Fahrenberg enlightened us
>
> > > I'm having what looks to my untrained eye like a memory-leak issue with
> > > xpdf-3.00. I have a pdf file,
> > >
> > > 	http://uli.dyndns.org/rer-paris.pdf
> > >
> > > which displays perfectly with xpdf-2.02. When I try to watch it with
> > > xpdf-3.00, the xpdf process ends up effectively halting my computer
> > > (with 512MB RAM):
> > >
> > > 8820 uli 12 0 429m 413m 3328 D 12.3 82.0 0:04.88 xpdf
> > >
> > > Quitting xpdf (sending the window a "Destroy" request) kills the window
> > > but not the process, kill -9 does.
> >
> > Back around kernel 2.3.37 or so, the kernel brought in a memory leak
> > under X. It has reappeared occasionally, and been sat upon again by
> > fresh versions. There must be reams on it in various archives at this
> > stage.
> >
> > I can't duplicate it because your site is unavailable ;-). Probably
> > NTL again.
>
> Thank you for your answer. Googling for "x memory leak linux" returns
> only posts which seem to report that X itself leaks, "xpdf memory leak"
> returned nothing useful.
It _was_ a kernel problem back then, IIRC. My kids had me on this
experimental kernel on some crappy box so they could tell their mates
on IRC what kernel version they were on to sound like programmers :-).
This produced the memory leak under X. As I only changed the kernel (X
was in rpms) I presume it was the issue.

That kernel also broke pppd, and caused this huge leak running X which
ground the (feeble) beast to an absolute halt. That was an AMD 586 (i.e.
a jumped up 486), 2 computers ago. It would be about 6 years back?

> For the file, you might try
>
> 	http://www.math.auc.dk/~uli/rer-paris.pdf
>
> instead.

I did. Acrobat swallows it fine. GS-8.1 shows it, but halfway down the
page, and you only see the top half. It goes outside the window. I saw
the thing but got an error.
GS>Error: /Undefined in 6"

Strange. Is the file Kosher?

--