flat list for blfs package dependencies...

zoltan fmzoltan at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 28 18:24:50 PDT 2004

Chuck Rhode wrote:
> Farid Bouzaghti wrote this on Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 06:26:03AM +0200.
> My reply is below.
>

>>Have a look at the "BLFS Package Dependencies" hint, it could be
>>helpful...
>

> Thanks for the plug.  It's brand new!  That link would be:
>
>   http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/blfs-deps
>
> The attachments are in:
>
>   http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/attachments/blfs-deps/
>
> The BLFS Book is presented in dependency order, but what the OP wants
> (I believe) is a list of prerequisites for a particular package in
> BLFS.  That is what the Python script PrerequisitePackages.py
> produces.

I've tried this out, and it works great!  I did find one typo in the
DownloadPackages.py python program:

67c67
<             __Unit.write("wget %s\n" % (__Archive))
---
 >             __Unit.write("wget %s\n" % (__Patch))

If you make the above change, the patches get listed as intended,
instead of the last package being listed for the patches.

Also, one other thing I would like to mention is that you need
Python-2.3.2, or least something newer than Python-2.2.2 which is what I
had on my original LFS-4.0 system.

Additionally, I have a question regarding the xml.sax patch:  the readme
says it also works against Python-2.3.3, yet BLFS-5.0 uses Python-2.3.2.
  I haven't actually tried to apply the patch against Python-2.3.2, but
my question is more of which is the intended Python to use with this
hint, 2.3.2 or 2.3.3?

Thanks again for this great hint and python programs.  In fact, this is
making me want to go out and learn python...

Great Job!!!

--john

P.S.:

One other minor behavior I noticed is this:  if you specify the following:

xfree86
fontconfig

in the wishlist.txt file, it produces a different result than if you
specify this (PrerequisitePackages.py):

fontconfig
xfree86

With the latter, fontconfig only appears once, while with the former,
fontconfig is listed twice.  Not a big deal, and I can post-process the
output from PrerequisitePackages.py to ensure only a single appearance
of a given package, but a minor enhancement would be to unique-i-fy the
output within the PrerequisitePackages.py program...in other words, drop
second and subsequent appearances of a given package...