X-6.7.0 and gnome

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Apr 28 05:45:59 PDT 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Simon Geard wrote:

> Ok, as far as yelp being slow is concerned, I gather that's been
> substantially improved in the 2.6.0 release, though I don't use it
> enough to compare. Just had a bit of a play with it now, and seems to
> work fairly responsively (except for that massive function reference
> list). Of course if you're running an older machine like i586, mileage
> will vary...

 For the moment, I've stopped testing on i586 - too many weird desktop
bugs with glibc-2.3.3 (fonts in abiword, borked display of `top' when
launched from the icewm CPU monitor window, gnumeric crashing).  At the
moment it's not clear if using the i586 has any future (it's slow, but
it's /very/ quiet so I'm happy to leave it running).  I thought it was
about time to do a fresh install on an i686 and figured I could rework
my scripts while keeping the same package versions, big mistake.  At the
moment I'm finishing some minor packages and trying to address all of
the script / configuration issues other than gnome.

> >  This is all for a minimalist desktop, I don't want a gnome (or kde)
> > all-singing all-dancing beast, but I do want the applications.
> > Unfortunately, building kde is a breeze (start script, run overnight,
> > almost always just works) but it doesn't have writing and spreadsheet
> > applications that I like.  Gnome has the applications, but the build
> > process assumes you're running a full gnome build - some dependencies
> > are tested in the configure, others aren't - and it lacks the "just slot
> > in kdesomethingelse" approach.
>
> Yeah, I use still use blackbox as a desktop, but I get good use out of a
> number of Gnome apps like Gnumeric or Evolution. Not to mention the
> gnome-games package.
>
> But yes, the number of packages for Gnome is somewhat overwhelming - KDE
> probably has the same number of components, but it bundles them into a
> lot less packages. Haven't used KDE for a while, but from memory it has
> about 10 major packages, compared to 60 or so for Gnome.

 The nice thing about building kde is that you only need qt, arts (plus
dependencies for these, but those are things I'd generally build
anyway), libs, base, and then you add other groups of stuff as desired.
The downside is you add another 3 groups (maybe 20-30 programs) when you
only want 3-5 of the programs - wastes a lot of time and space.

 I'm starting to believe that gnome-2.6 will need a similar build-it-all
approach.  2.4 was moving that way (e.g. needed scrollkeeper to make
yelp work, but none of the configure scripts highlighted that).  I'll
have to sit down with a pencil and paper and re-read the BLFS book to
see how it all fits together.

Ken