X-6.7.0 and gnome

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Wed Apr 28 03:44:44 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 02:21, Ken Moffat wrote:
>  The problems -
>
>  Libgnomeui doesn't build, in file-chooser/gtkfilesystemgnomevfs.c
> is_finished_loading is not a member of the iface structure (just comment
> it out) - it only went in at the end of March, so maybe 2.6.0 is ok.

Ok, Dagmar answered that one... dependencies on a not-yet released gtk.
A bit silly putting the newer version of libgnomeui on the ftp, I'd have
thought.

>  For yelp, all I know is it crashes.  My only use for it is to read the
> documentation for gnumeric.  I had it working with gtk+-2.2 and
> gnome-2.4 (and db-3, but it was very slow) but now with general package
> upgrades it just produces an error dialog before I get to see the
> contents of the help.  I think somebody else reported problems with yelp
> on blfs-dev in the last fortnight.

Ok, as far as yelp being slow is concerned, I gather that's been
substantially improved in the 2.6.0 release, though I don't use it
enough to compare. Just had a bit of a play with it now, and seems to
work fairly responsively (except for that massive function reference
list). Of course if you're running an older machine like i586, mileage
will vary...

>  This is all for a minimalist desktop, I don't want a gnome (or kde)
> all-singing all-dancing beast, but I do want the applications.
> Unfortunately, building kde is a breeze (start script, run overnight,
> almost always just works) but it doesn't have writing and spreadsheet
> applications that I like.  Gnome has the applications, but the build
> process assumes you're running a full gnome build - some dependencies
> are tested in the configure, others aren't - and it lacks the "just slot
> in kdesomethingelse" approach.

Yeah, I use still use blackbox as a desktop, but I get good use out of a
number of Gnome apps like Gnumeric or Evolution. Not to mention the
gnome-games package.

But yes, the number of packages for Gnome is somewhat overwhelming - KDE
probably has the same number of components, but it bundles them into a
lot less packages. Haven't used KDE for a while, but from memory it has
about 10 major packages, compared to 60 or so for Gnome.

> > One thing I did notice is that gtk+ complained (non-fatally) over a
> > missing xrender.pc - it seems there's a bug in X (both Xfree86 and Xorg)
> > that causes the file not to be installed. I found a patch for it, but
> > the problem didn't seem to cause any problems downstream.
>
>  Didn't notice that, I only look at the build logs is they fail :)

So would I normally, but on this case, I was rewriting the scripts I'd
normally use. I was watching the configure log to see if there were any
optional dependencies I might be missing, and spotted that one scroll
past (something to do with xcursor support, I gather).

Simon.