flat list for blfs package dependencies...

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Wed Apr 28 01:32:54 PDT 2004

DJ Lucas enlightened us
> zoltan wrote:
> >Don't know if this is feasible, but I could certainly make good use of
> >it...
> >
> >The BLFS book very nicely lists the required packages for any given
> >package.  There is (necessarily) a lot of overlap.  Nevertheless, it is
> >a hierarchical dependency list, as it is, just on a package-by-package
> >basis.
> >
> >What I would find useful, is if that hierarchical dependency list could
> >be flattened into a single text file, with one package per line, with
> >the property that each package depends only on packages already
> >previously listed.
>
> Not entirely possible because of reciprocal deps...a recent example,
> openldap can use heimdal but doesn't on it's first build, and then
> heimdal can use openldap and does, and then openldap can furthur use
> heimdal and does.
>

> >The information to do this is already in the BLFS book, but extracting
> >it from the XML or HTML is not my area of expertise.  Can anyone help?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >John
> >

> Nobody has produced such a doc to date....maybe wait a bit and the
> current nALFS workings can help.  IMO, the best way to do this is simply
> a pencil and paper.  Find your first major milestone, and go backwards
> through the deps till there are no more deps..write down the package and
> make good use of your browser's back button till you see blue dep links
> again and do it all over.

In addition to what has been mentioned, there are 2 problems:

	1. LFS is a bare system, but most programmers expect to find a
distro. So their ideas on dependencies are wrong.

Example: PCB (Electronic pcb layout program) "Builds on anything". I
found it needed m4, the Athena Widget set (or Xaw3d, or aome other
athena type widgets), 3 button emulation, and a few other things. Gpsim
needed a raft of stuff usually dragged in as a dependency of some
package.

	2. Any of a number of programs can satisfy some dependencies. If
your requirement was for an ftp client, can you imagine the choice?
ncftp, wu-ftp, myftp, yourftp, oldftp, newftp,  etc.

I thought the way it was done was quite good. If you look at any
program, you will find a better idea of it's dependencies in the blfs
book than you usually will in the docs of the program itself.
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.