flat list for blfs package dependencies...

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Tue Apr 27 20:21:24 PDT 2004

zoltan wrote:
> Don't know if this is feasible, but I could certainly make good use of
> it...
>
> The BLFS book very nicely lists the required packages for any given
> package.  There is (necessarily) a lot of overlap.  Nevertheless, it is
> a hierarchical dependency list, as it is, just on a package-by-package
> basis.
>
> What I would find useful, is if that hierarchical dependency list could
> be flattened into a single text file, with one package per line, with
> the property that each package depends only on packages already
> previously listed.

Not entirely possible because of reciprocal deps...a recent example,
openldap can use heimdal but doesn't on it's first build, and then
heimdal can use openldap and does, and then openldap can furthur use
heimdal and does.

> The information to do this is already in the BLFS book, but extracting
> it from the XML or HTML is not my area of expertise.  Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
> John

Nobody has produced such a doc to date....maybe wait a bit and the
current nALFS workings can help.  IMO, the best way to do this is simply
a pencil and paper.  Find your first major milestone, and go backwards
through the deps till there are no more deps..write down the package and
make good use of your browser's back button till you see blue dep links
again and do it all over.

-- DJ