command prompt trouble

Farid Bouzaghti no at spam.net
Sat Apr 24 20:23:52 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Black" <tcblack at wireless111.net>
Newsgroups: blfs.support
To: <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2004 4:59 AM
Subject: Re: command prompt trouble

> Tom Black wrote:
> > The command prompt code in  my /etc/profile is:
> > PS1="[\[\e[31;40m\]\u\[\e[34;40m\] @ \[\e[35;40m\]\w\[\e[0m\]]\$"
> >
> > The output however goes on two lines as:
> > [tcblack at Brandon
> > /etc]$
> >
> > So I type (on one line)
> > $ export PS1="[\[\e[31;40m\]\u\[\e[34;40m\] @
[\e[35;40m\]\w\[\e[0m\]]\$"
> > and now it works.
> > [tcblack @ /etc]$
> > Somewhere there is a record of the wrong codes but "where"?
> >

> grep found it in /etc/bashrc
> I thought this was for "non-interactive" prompts started in the X
> environment not the bash shell as it starts at boot time?

The bash shell started at boot time (after login) is an interactive login
shell.
It reads /etc/profile, then ~/.bash_profile which executes "source
$HOME/.bashrc"
This one then executes "source /etc/bashrc", hence your problem...

Of course, this is only true if you use the files from the BLFS book.

Farid