emacs and x

Jeremy Byron jbyron at telus.net
Fri Apr 23 20:59:45 PDT 2004

>I don't have a running linux with X to try this out, but shouldn't you be
>typing 'xemacs'?
No.  At least, not on my system.

Andre,
One other possibility I can think of off hand might be a lack
of 'optional' dependencies such as libjpeg, libpng, libtiff, and
libungif.  Perhaps emacs is not finding one or more of these
and not compiling with X support?  If these are installed, they
are in your ldconfig path and ldconfig was run after installation,
right?  Check the config and build logs for any warnings or
references to X.

Besides that.. unless you like tinkering around with Lisp,
you're likely better off sticking with Vim and/or Kate.  Both
of which have X support.  (flames to /dev/null)

Jeremy.