Harddrive problems

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Apr 23 11:25:00 PDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Declan Moriarty wrote:

> Daniel Brewer enlightened us
> >

> > I haven't tested it fully yet but I moved the ide cables away from each
> > other and the few times it boots it seems to be ok, but that does not
> > prove anything yet!  I would like to put my harddrives onto different
> > channels but the stupid cables will not reach from the harddrive bit up
> > to the cd drives.  Any suggestions to get round that?
>

> Could also have been a dodgy connection somewhere. Those IDC plugs are
> famous for it.
>
> Often, you can get around a length problem by repositioning drives, fit
> a 3.5" --> 5.25" adapter, or reversing the cable, thus getting a larger
> gap between drive locations. Unless you're moving the box around or live
> in an earthquake zone, you can also mount a hd on one side only of a
> 5.25" bay.

 When I looked at the original post, I couldn't think of any obvious
solutions to allow moving the drives, beyond maybe inverting one to save
having to twist the IDE cable (depends which way round the connectors
are, of course, and is very marginal).  Old 40-way IDE cables seemed
longer, but that won't help your dma performance.  Declan's reply has
reminded me that you can get adaptor brackets to put a 3.5" drive in a
5.25" slot, and I did this for a year.  It ups the noise slightly (the
drive can vibrate on it's brackets, and you have a plastic panel in
front of it instead of solid chassis.

Ken