Harddrive problems

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Fri Apr 23 04:27:31 PDT 2004

Daniel Brewer enlightened us

> On 22 Apr 2004, at 6:05 pm, Jonas Norlander wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 08:39:59PM +0100, Daniel Brewer wrote:
> >>I have recently brought a new harddrive (a seagate drive) and put it
> >>in
> >>with a maxtor drive  I already had.  I am running kernel 2.6.5.  Every
> >>so often I get kernel panics when the system is booting and trying to
> >>set up the second harddrive.  It never occurs two boots in a row.
> >>

> >I would try to drop the cd-drives and put the harddrives on different
> >ide-channels. I've got two drives that refused to run together on the
> >same channel and gave me symtoms like yours.
> >Also make sure your ide-cabels are OK and that the drives can run in
> >the dma mode the kernel trying to set.
> >

> I haven't tested it fully yet but I moved the ide cables away from each
> other and the few times it boots it seems to be ok, but that does not
> prove anything yet!  I would like to put my harddrives onto different
> channels but the stupid cables will not reach from the harddrive bit up
> to the cd drives.  Any suggestions to get round that?

Could also have been a dodgy connection somewhere. Those IDC plugs are
famous for it.

Often, you can get around a length problem by repositioning drives, fit
a 3.5" --> 5.25" adapter, or reversing the cable, thus getting a larger
gap between drive locations. Unless you're moving the box around or live
in an earthquake zone, you can also mount a hd on one side only of a
5.25" bay.
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.