Harddrive problems

Daniel Brewer dan_list at brewer.me.uk
Fri Apr 23 02:26:36 PDT 2004

On 22 Apr 2004, at 6:05 pm, Jonas Norlander wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 08:39:59PM +0100, Daniel Brewer wrote:
>> I have recently brought a new harddrive (a seagate drive) and put it
>> in
>> with a maxtor drive  I already had.  I am running kernel 2.6.5.  Every
>> so often I get kernel panics when the system is booting and trying to
>> set up the second harddrive.  It never occurs two boots in a row.
>>

> I would try to drop the cd-drives and put the harddrives on different
> ide-channels. I've got two drives that refused to run together on the
> same channel and gave me symtoms like yours.
> Also make sure your ide-cabels are OK and that the drives can run in
> the dma mode the kernel trying to set.

I haven't tested it fully yet but I moved the ide cables away from each
other and the few times it boots it seems to be ok, but that does not
prove anything yet!  I would like to put my harddrives onto different
channels but the stupid cables will not reach from the harddrive bit up
to the cd drives.  Any suggestions to get round that?

Dan

--
Dan Brewer

http://www.brewer.me.uk
LFS ID: 5309
GPG fingerprint:
D2B6 DE30 530B 6C5D C96B  9506 9A6F F054 299E 1B6C