best way to distribute lfs to other systems

rl at nezumi.plus.com rl at nezumi.plus.com
Fri Apr 23 01:24:40 PDT 2004

On 2004-04-22 15:43:22 +0000, Duane Cox wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've just compiled my first LFS system, based on the current CVS but substituing a few enhancements and Glibc-2.3.2.
>
> I want to distribute this across my network to other servers.
> What would be the best way to do this?
> Tar up my LFS and put it on a CD, create a bootable CD and untar it to the
> approprate disks, then edit a few of the files, and be done?

I have a similar situation here at work.

I have a directory called /etc/machines/ with one directory per host.
/etc/machines/local is a link to the host directory for the local
machine.

Each time I need to make a file different on each computer, I move the
file to /etc/machines/local/, link the old path name to the new one
in /etc/machines/local, and make a variation of the file in each of the
other /etc/machines/local/*/ directories.

Each machine has easily enough space for two root and two var
directories. /etc/fstab is a link to /etc/fstab12 or /etc/fstab87.
The numbers represent the current root and var partition numbers.

To make a new machine, I put the new hard-disk in one, copy everything
over, change the /etc/machines/local link, put the disk in the new
machine and boot from floppy to set up grub.

To upgrade, I use tar to make a backup, send it across the network and
unpack it on the spare root & var partitions. Change the /etc/fstab and
/etc/machines/local links.

One day I will try out one of the boot CD's so I do not have to open a
working machine to make first copy on a hard disc.

There are plenty of good solutions, but I find this one makes it easy
to upgrade machines, and if there is a problem with one of the servers,
I can quickly swtich the identity of another machine to take its place.

Richard
--
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.