Dual Boot, shared /home

T.Benjamin Buckley tbbuckle at uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 22 10:55:57 PDT 2004

On Apr 22, 2004, at 12:47 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, T.Benjamin Buckley wrote:
>
>> Can anyone on the list think of a good reason not to create a
>> partition
>> that for /home that would also be mounted as /Users by OS X?  The box
>> will be more-or-less single-user, and I don't expect the two OSes to
>> share much in the way applications.  Sorry if this is the wrong list
>> for such a question.
>>
>> Yrs,
>> Ben B.
>>

>  Filesystem type ?  I'm seeing bug reports for the updated hfs+ (in
> 2.6)
> on l-k, don't know how serious they are (wasn't paying attention) and
> I'm not sure if 2.4 has a usable hfs+.

I read over at the Gentoo-ppc forum that 2.4's HFS+ support was listed
under "experimental code" in the kernel but worked perfectly well for
most people.  It seems that ben the ppc kernel guy has broken that
support in 2.6.3; can't find any newer news on the subject.  There's
also an ext2 support of some kind available for OS X in 1.2b2, but I
can't find out enough about it see whether it would do the trick.
Supposedly it works, but I don't know if it lets you mount or if it's a
userspace set of utils like hmount et al., and it's ext3 support isn't
mature yet.

> Research the limitations and current state of play for whatever you're
> going to use.

I thought I'd ask here because the info I've dug up so far is far from
complete.  In fact, the question was mostly directed at you, Ken.
Thanks.

>  If all you want to do is share data

Yeah, mostly what I had in mind was having my OS X Movies, Pictures,
and especially Music dirs located in ~ under Linux *w/o* symlinks and
the like.  I know it's standard practice, but symlinks just seem like
to much of a work-around for my, ahem, "standards of elegance."

Thanx again.

Ben B.