X is a bit slow

Christian H. Kuhn official at qno.de
Thu Apr 22 05:55:22 PDT 2004

Hi Ken,

& dixit Ken Moffat:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Christian H. Kuhn wrote:
>  So, it's just the dri that you're worried about.
>
>  (i) debian is using XFree-4.really.old, or -4.fairly.old if you're
> lucky.

It's 4.2.1-16.

>  I assume you've already looked through the X log to make sure it isn't
> moaning about anything, and checked glxinfo to confirm that dri is on.

So it is.

> Did you use an XF86Config from debian, or did you roll your own ?  If
> you took it from debian, did you take the -4 version (debian seems to
> generate both, dunno if they're identical) ?

Kind of both. I made a new XF86Config-4, according to the book. Then i
changed some entries, p.e. for the mouse. Still, there are differences
in the Module section.

LFS:
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "speedo"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "freetype"

Debian:
        Load    "GLcore"
        Load    "bitmap"
        Load    "dbe"
        Load    "ddc"
        Load    "dri"
        Load    "extmod"
        Load    "freetype"
        Load    "glx"
        Load    "int10"
        Load    "record"
        Load    "speedo"
        Load    "type1"
        Load    "vbe"

>  (ii) drm modules are compiled with the same compiler you used for the
> kernel.

All compiled with 2.95.3.

> You will rightly tell me that you don't want to recompile X as well.

It's not me who compiles it but the compiler, and it can be done while i
sleep. In fact, i have recompiled X several times the last days, for
reasons i mentioned in another thread.

> In my opinion, the BLFS book hasn't kept up with dri - for almost
> everybody, the dri modules in recent 2.4 kernels should be up to date
> enough to just build them.  The book's instructions are a hangover from
> when the kernel couldn't interface to anything newer than X-4.2.

I'm not sure that i understand what you are talking about. Does it mean
that the DRI kernel modules are overwritten with those from X? So should
i NOT copy the X DRI modules, or better, try which work faster?

Kind regards,
Chris