Gnome 2.6.0 icons strike again

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Thu Apr 22 03:24:20 PDT 2004

"Larry Lawrence" <larry at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> In the Theme department, there is a significant difference.  GNOME is
> using more and more programs from outside the GNOME development team.
> In 2.4, they used the GTK engines for most of the theme work, IIRC,
> metacity was using the engines to fulfill theme requests.  Now it
> looks as if the Icons, Themes and mime databases are handled by common
> engines and it's been integrated into all the applications, not just
> metacity.  Could be wrong, but that's my take on it.

I think you're right. From what I've read, a fair bit of work has gone
into providing common theming across all elements of the system - icons,
widgets, window frames, etc. Things like theming the builtin icons in
gtk - menus, toolbars, etc - and linking those themes to the rest of the
Gnome theme system.

I don't know how much of those changes landed in 2.6, but it's
definitely a lot tighter than before.

Simon.