X is a bit slow

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Apr 21 13:51:29 PDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Vasant Tiwari wrote:

> Yes.
> In my previous gentoo installation, dri worked really well with the
> drivers in 2.6 kernel and 2.4 also.
> But in LFS even though DRM loads while booting X refuses to have anything
> to do with dri and hence i get fps as low as 150.
> Any pointers to get dri X to use dri/drm from kernel.

 In 2.4.recent, character devices -> Direct Rendering Manager -> DRM 4.1
drivers.  I tend to build what I want into the kernel, it's not like it
has to run on more than one box.  Before 2.4.??, the 4.1 drivers only
worked with 4.1, now they work with later versions.

 Failing that, what error messages do you get in the X log.  I know 2.6
is slightly different (needs agpgart, I think) but again I build that
stuff into the kernel and it just works.

Ken