kernel 2.6.5, X 4.4.0, I810(0): VBE initialization failed

William Winkler ouiNOouiliSPAMouinqui at yahoo.nospam.com
Tue Apr 20 10:25:44 PDT 2004

Well, I redid my kernel config several times, and now X works.  I made more
than one change last time, so I'm not sure what made the difference.  I'll

In the process, I was reminded that 2.6 uses .ko instead of .o, so I had to
laugh about copying the X version of i810.o over to modules/2.6.5 and
running depmod again.  Also, I hadn't set option "dri" in the device section
and assumed "no" was the default, but I think maybe "yes" must be the
default.

I would like to say that the quality of LFS and BLFS is really amazing, both
the quality of the plan and the quality of the documentation.  I'm used to
the "I'm going to be as cryptic as possible and hope this won't be at all
helpful" style of the man pages.  It's always a treat to see top-quality
documentation with Linux.

"William Winkler" <ouiouiliNOSPAMouinqui at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c613ca$i0g$1 at belgarath.linuxfromscratch.org...
> I  built LFS 5.1-pre1 using kernel 2.4.25 and then added X according to
BLFS