Harddrive problems

Tony Sequeira tony at sequeira.com
Tue Apr 20 01:54:29 PDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:49:31 +0100, Daniel Brewer wrote

> On 20 Apr 2004, at 9:17 am, Declan Moriarty wrote:
>
> > Daniel Brewer enlightened us
> >> I have recently brought a new harddrive (a seagate drive) and put
it
> >> in
> >> with a maxtor drive  I already had.  I am running kernel 2.6.5.
> Every
> >> so often I get kernel panics when the system is booting and trying
> >> set up the second harddrive.  It never occurs two boots in a row.
> >> When
> >> I get an error it looks like this:
> >>
> >> hda: ST380011A, ATA DISK drive
> >> hda: IRQ probe failed (0xfcba)
> >> hdb: M ...garbage..., ATA DISK drive
> >> hdb: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
> >> Error}

ISTR a kernel option that specifies this very message (somewhere in the
IDE drivers? section, maybe generic, sorry, I'm at work).  It also
reckons that the option should be turned on (maybe off?) if this error
occurs.  Maybe worth your while examining this possibility before
getting your hands dirty.

--
Tony