Harddrive problems

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Tue Apr 20 01:17:36 PDT 2004


Daniel Brewer enlightened us
> I have recently brought a new harddrive (a seagate drive) and put it in 
> with a maxtor drive  I already had.  I am running kernel 2.6.5.  Every 
> so often I get kernel panics when the system is booting and trying to 
> set up the second harddrive.  It never occurs two boots in a row.  When 
> I get an error it looks like this:
> 
> hda: ST380011A, ATA DISK drive
> hda: IRQ probe failed (0xfcba)
> hdb: M ...garbage..., ATA DISK drive
> hdb: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete 
> Error}
> hdb: set_drive_speed_status: error=0x04 {DriveStatusError}
> ide0: Drive1 didn't accept speed setting. Oh, well.
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> hdc: CW038D ATAPI CD-R/RW, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdd: JLMS XJ-HD166S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> hda: max request size: 1024KiB
> hda: 156301488 sectors (80026 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=16383/255/63, 
> UDMA(100)
> hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 >
> hdb: max request size: 128KiB
> hdb: cannot use LBA48 - full capacity 566376693 sectors (289984 MB)
> hdb: 268435456 sectors (137438 MB) w/1883KiB Cache, CHS=16383/181/191, 
> UDMA(133)
> hdb: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete 
> Error}
> hdb: set_drive_speed_status: error=0x04 {DriveStatusError}
> hdb: INVALID GEOMETRY: 181 PHYSICAL HEADS?
> ide-default: hdb: Failed to register the driver with ide.c
> kernel panic: ide: default attach failed
> 
> But when it runs fine it looks like this:
> hda: ST380011A, ATA DISK drive
> hda: IRQ probe failed (0xfcba)
> hdb: MAXTOR 6L020J1, ATA DISK drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> hdc: CW038D ATAPI CD-R/RW, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdd: JLMS XJ-HD166S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> hda: max request size: 1024KiB
> hda: 156301488 sectors (80026 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=16383/255/63, 
> UDMA(100)
> hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 >
> hdb: max request size: 128KiB
> hdb: 40132503 sectors (20547 MB) w/1819KiB Cache, CHS=39813/16/63, 
> UDMA(133)
> hdb: hdb1 hdb2 < hdb5 >
> 
> Have any of you got any idea what is going on.  It is strange as hdb 
> (the old drive) worked fine previously.  Could it be the cables?
> 
What's going on?

Drive on hdb is barfing at dma, and possibly there's some ringing.

Ringing is a hardware problem, where logic levels deviate from the
expected, and logic levels fluctuate. There is fair old capacitance in a
ribbon cable. Use a shorter one and route it away from the (many) noise
sources inside the box to the extent possible.

Recompile the kernel without "Use dma by default"; Check your interrurt
allocation from the APIC carefully; If you have a VIA chipset, disable
the APIC altogether (boot parameter noapic) as last heard, the
implementation was broken.

If possible, split hda and hdb. Make them hda and hdc, with the cdrw as
hdb, or suchlike. In your box it would be more important to have the drives 
split than a cdrom/drive split. I would leave hdb all on it's own
somewhere.

It's also possible something is being run too fast. If you're using
(There's too many 'if' statements here. Not enough info!) ide=66 or
suchlike, make sure you have an 80 strand cable.

You can then switch on the dma individually on ide0 with your dodgy
drive on ide1.

--




	With best Regards,


	Declan Moriarty.



More information about the blfs-support mailing list