Motif here, motif there, motif everywhere

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Mon Apr 19 14:39:19 PDT 2004

On Monday 19 April 2004 22:52, Ken Moffat wrote:

>  No problem with that, or with treading a less-used road.  I'm all for
> heterogeneity, or I would be if I could spell it, but it can restrict
> the available help.

Spot on.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Heterogeneity \Het`er*o*ge*ne"i*ty\, n. [Cf. F.
   h['e]t['e]rog['e]n['e]it['e].]
   The state of being heterogeneous; contrariety.

Although I understand why, definitions like this get up my nostrils. Something
like the attribute/property of being diverse would be a lot more helpful. I
wouldn't have used contrariety though - I'm all for contrariety? Doesn't
sound very productive.

Regards.

allard at quicknet.nl