XFree slow to start(solved)

Cliff McDiarmid cliffhanger at gardener.com
Sat Apr 17 12:59:19 PDT 2004

> > > On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Declan Moriarty  wrote:

> My memory jogs here. There's something in the faq or somewhere about
> making sure X doesn't go off onto the network looking for various
> information. A resolv.conf setting, for your own box?
>
> /tries to focus on fading memories. FAILS.
>
> I think it was your equivelant of
>
> /gropes around in /etc
>
> these lines in /etc/hosts
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain  localhost
> 192.168.10.1 genius.chateau.dec genius
>
> The localhost or the hostname (genius) may be missing
>
> My memory is awol on this, but somebody will correct me.

That's it!   There was a problem with name to address resolution against nameserver, my host name was not resolvable from /etc/hosts.   Apparently 45 second timeouts are characteristic in this case.
I put the following in /etc/hosts which solved it:

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain hostname hostname.my.domain
::1 localhost localhost.my.domain hostname hostname.my.domain
10.10.10.10  dns-hostname dns-hostname.my.domain

so all interprocess trades are kept inside host itself.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions

MAC