Programming with GTK

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Apr 16 10:21:52 PDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 03:56:30 +0100 (BST)
John Galbrit <jgalbrit at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> A buddy of mine asked me if there were any programs made to
> autimatically GTK-ize existing C++ programs. From what I gather, he
> just wants to incorporate a GUI frontend. As I know squat about GTK, I
> thought I'd ask here. Is there an automated method out there?

I very much doubt it.  The GUI would have to have some "knowledge" of
the task the application performs and the underlying logic to it.  I
doubt there's a sufficient level of artificial-intellegince out there
that could knock up a GUI just given the source code.  I'm trying to
imagine something that could parse the multitude of options
that `cdrecord` takes and conjure up a sane user interface to it by
itself!

Maybe what he's really after is a GUI designer, so that rather than
explicitly writing code that positions elements inside windows then he
can simply drag-and-drop them into place.  I know such things exist for
both wxWindows & QT, so a GTK variant shouldn't be too hard to find.

Hope this helps,

Matt.