XFree slow to start

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Fri Apr 16 02:41:11 PDT 2004

On Friday 16 April 2004 08:48, cedric wrote:
> >  Do you have /tmp/.ICE-unix ?  If not, try
> > mkdir /tmp/.ICE-unix ; chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix
>
> That's odd, i have /tmp mounted as tmpfs, and my scripts don't create the
> dir, but it is present. Can it be X creates that dir?

It's not the creation of this directory that's amiss, it's the
ownership. /tmp/.ICE-unix should have root ownership, x creates it belonging
to the user who started x, which is potentially dangerous (and reportedly
slows down some operations). If you log all output from x, you should see a
warning about this somewhere.

Cheers - Allard

allard at quicknet.nl