XFree slow to start

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Fri Apr 16 01:32:34 PDT 2004

Cliff McDiarmid enlightened us
> > On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> >  Do you have /tmp/.ICE-unix ?  If not, try  mkdir /tmp/.ICE-unix ;
> >  chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix
> >
> > Ken
>
> Yes I have that with the right permissions.   Where should I go from
> here, I have included the log file.
>
> > On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Nick wrote:
>
> Are you using IPv6 for some reason?  I'm not positive, but i think
> inet6 refers to IPv6.  If your not using it on purpose check your
> kernel config and try removing support for it.
>
> I don't have support for it.  What next?

My memory jogs here. There's something in the faq or somewhere about
making sure X doesn't go off onto the network looking for various
information. A resolv.conf setting, for your own box?

/tries to focus on fading memories. FAILS.

I think it was your equivelant of

/gropes around in /etc

these lines in /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain  localhost
192.168.10.1 genius.chateau.dec genius

The localhost or the hostname (genius) may be missing

My memory is awol on this, but somebody will correct me.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.