Gnome-2.6 panel icons missing

S. Park sf_park at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 15 21:42:14 PDT 2004

--- Tracy Riegle <triegle at comcast.net> wrote:

> everything seems to be
> the panel. The gnome
> applications menu is missing as
> menu. It seems odd that only
> the icons available in
> (/opt/gnome-2.6/share/pixmaps/gnome-main-menu.png
> don't show? Thanks in

> arguments you passed to the
> you compiled them.

> variable to be?  IIRC, Gnome

> >>Thanks for the reply.
> >>$GNOME_PREFIX=/opt/gnome-2.6
> >>Where can I get the info on these issues?
> >>-Tracy
> >>

> >It's been discussed on the lists in the past, a
> search of the archives
> >would give some results.
> >
> >I would recompile the gnome packages using
> $GNOME_PREFIX=/usr instead of
> >the subdir of /opt, and see if you have better
> luck.
> >
> >-J-
> >

> I wanted to keep Gnome seperate because I wasn't
> sure if I liked it. I'm
> not real thrilled with it. I think I'll just keep it
> in /opt and use the
> Gnome applications  and not the desktop. I'll just
> keep using
> Enlightenment DR16 and wait for DR17 to come out.
> Thank you for the help.
> -Tracy
> --

Alternately, you can try to put almost everything into
/opt tree. At least, the packages in the 2.6.0
release. I usually keep GNOME in /usr/GNOME tree, but
this time followed BLFS scheme and had the same kind
of problem.  So I went back to put almost all in
/usr/GNOME and the problem was fixed.
I can't pinpoint which, but I have suspicion that
gnome-icon-theme and related packages should be
installed in the same tree as apps such as
gnome-desktop, etc.

Best regard.