XFree slow to start

Cliff McDiarmid cliffhanger at gardener.com
Thu Apr 15 12:17:57 PDT 2004

Hi

I've just installed Xfree-4.4 from source, following the 'host.def file' from BLFS for the first time - all went well.  When I hit 'startx' the system now, and in the past, is set to boot into KDE.

But I now have a situation whereby Xfree takes a maybe 30sec to start after typing 'startx.   If I hit Ctrl-C this will inntiate start up - why?    But when the KDE screen appears the system continues to go slow.
Folders and pieces of txt can take 15 sec to appear.  Any idea what's causing this, I've never had it before?  The log file shows the following at the beginning:

  XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/Cliffhangers:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6

How do I solve it?

MAC