X.org (6.7.0)

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Apr 14 09:21:07 PDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Ken Moffat wrote:

>  Didn't fix it.  FWIW, with the DefaultGcc2PpcOpt undefined, it builds
> with -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fsigned-char on ppc.  So now I get to
> compare X.org CVS against the release, and graze on the Fedora and
> gentoo patches (actually, gentoo at least are weird - looks as if there
> are all manner of patch options (-p1, -p0, ...) in there).  Fun !

 Ultimately, this is either going to go down as a scripting error on my
part, or as a freetype or fontconfig bug.  Gentoo isn't on the 6.7.0
release, as far as I can see, and there was nothing relevant in the
patches (many of them were from RH anyway, and I really can't see why
anybody not using RH would want most of these).  Tried building X.org
CVS from 29th Feb, this time it gave the same segfault in mkfontscale.

 I've now successfully rebuilt 29th Feb using included fontconfig and
freetype (not necessarily the latest versions that are in the 6.7.0
release) and that works.  Next step is to see if 6.7.0 works with the
included versions.  That's what I like about test builds, you never know
where the bugs will bite :-|

 Anybody know of a supplier for sack-cloth and ashes if it turns out to
be a bug in my scripts ?

Ken