X.org (6.7.0)

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Apr 13 11:19:57 PDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, DJ Lucas wrote:
>

> > <quote>
> >   > Axp is for the Alpha architecture and Ppc is
> > >  * for the Power PC.  Note that there have been reports that the Ppc
> > >  * optimization line causes segmentation faults during build.  If that
> > >  * happens, try building without the DefaultGcc2PpcOpt line.
> > </quote>
> >
> > Maybe if you have acknowledged the warning, then define it and lessen
> > the opts even more (don't know about ppc otps tho, maybe that's as low
> > as they get?).  Wish I could give more, but above are the only quick
> > checks I can come up with.
> >

>  Interestingly, my options are -O2 -mcpu=7450 -maltivec -mabi=altivec
> (worked with the end-of-February CVS pull), and from somewhere it's
> added -fsigned-char.  I originally (XFree 4.3/4.4-rc2) had a few more
> options including -fsigned-char but I pulled a chunk of them out because
> of internal compiler errors.
>
>  I suppose the quickest thing is to just comment this out and see if
> that fixes it.  Cheers.

 Didn't fix it.  FWIW, with the DefaultGcc2PpcOpt undefined, it builds
with -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fsigned-char on ppc.  So now I get to
compare X.org CVS against the release, and graze on the Fedora and
gentoo patches (actually, gentoo at least are weird - looks as if there
are all manner of patch options (-p1, -p0, ...) in there).  Fun !

Ken