Pb with speedtouch modem install

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Mon Apr 12 13:00:15 PDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Polyvore wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:06:01 -0400, Bill's LFS Login wrote:
> >

> >> under LFS my /etc/fstab contains :
> >> devpts        /dev/pts     devpts   gid=4,mode=620  0     0
> >>
> >> but there's no devpts in /etc/fstab under knoppix ?...
> >
> > Knoppix 3.3 uses /dev/ptmx? I had to change mode to 666 on this for
> > basic LFS install. No relation to your problem though?
> >

> I've checked my LFS, i have a good /dev/pts but there's nothing in.

Oh! IIRC, it's empty *until* something needs a psuedo-terminal. They are
created as needed and then released when un-needed (I think - someone
correct me if wrong). I know xterms use them. I don't know what else -
they always "just worked".

><snip>

I haven't worked with ppp in a long time and never with the package your
using, so I'm not helpful there. If it really is a pts issue, I guess
kernel config, MAKEDEV/make_devices and permsiions would be the usual
suspects.

There are some folks using ppp on the lists, hank in there and maybe one
of them can help.

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet