Pb with speedtouch modem install

Polyvore nospam.polyvore at yahoo.fr
Mon Apr 12 09:30:37 PDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:09:11 +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> Polyvore wrote:
>> ADSL synchronization has been obtained
>> ADSL line is up (640 kbit/s down | 160 kbit/s up)
> The modem works.
>
>> Script /usr/sbin/pppoa3 -m 1 -c -vpi 8 -vci 35 finished (pid 125), status= 0x7f00
>> Modem hangup
>> Connection terminated.
>> using channel 2
>> Couldn't attach to channel 2: No such device or address
>> Couldn't get channel number: Input/output error
>
> ls -l /dev/pts - did you forget to mount the devpts file system on it in
> /etc/fstab? Also ls -l /dev/ppp

Under LFS :
ls -l /dev/pts/ gives me :
total 0

ls -l /dev/ppp/ gives me :
crw-------    1 root     dip      108,   0 May 15  2001 /dev/ppp

I try "mount devpts /dev/pts -t devpts" which tells me :
mount: devpts already mounted or /dev/pts busy
mount: according to mtab, devpts is already mounted on /dev/pts

Under Knoppix :
ls -l /dev/pts/ gives me :
total 0
crw--w----    1 lfs      tty      136,   0 Apr 12 16:20 0
crw--w----    1 lfs      tty      136,   1 Apr 12 16:21 1
crw-------    1 root     tty      136,   2 Apr 12 16:14 2

ls -l /dev/ppp/ gives me :
crw-------    1 root     dip      108,   0 May 15  2001 /dev/ppp

So i think there is a problem with my /dev/pts... but what ?

About the /etc/fstab i haven't any devpts in it neither under Knoppix
nor under LFS so it doesn't seem to be a problem, no ?