[OT] Old Timers Please? Vintage 1989 problem

Declan Moriarty declan.moriartyt at ntlworld.ie
Sun Apr 11 11:14:10 PDT 2004

Dagmar d'Surreal enlightened us
> On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 21:56, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
>
> > Oh christ this thing *is* oooooold.  What hardware is it on and what
> > exactly is he trying to do with it?  More details might stimulate my
> > memory.  (I was mainly "working" remotely on these back then.  Heh)

At a guess, it's a 15 Mhz 68xxx machine.

> Scratch that.  Unless he's trying desperately to get some data off the
> machine, just shoot it.  My PDA has more power than that machine, and
> probably better security.

No. The query stands. It's a tester - it's not about power. That thing
does some testing of hardware (Network stuff, I believe). Testgear for
Electronic hardware is horribly expensive - the prices are aimed at
multinationals, whereas small time one man outfits like myself need
something like that to stay in business.

What came before /proc? That's the question in a nutshell.

How will he find what io ports and interrupts his kernel is interested in?
--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.