GNOME 2.6.0 problems

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Sat Apr 10 22:22:04 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 22:44, S. Park wrote:
> I did as you sugegsted and the behaviors of the 4
> icons  when double clicked are as follows:
>
> 1. Computer -> Filesystem.desktop and Network.desktop
> -> "No application is associated"
> 2. "User".Home -> Desktop -> Starthere.desktop (3)
> 3. Starthere.desktop -> gedit shows the contents.
> 4. Trash -> Shows files if exist.
>
> Regarding "shelton at onr.com" question: I am quite sure
> to satisfy all the dependency requirements.

Well, there's where you're likely wrong.  Gnome-vfs handles this stuff,
but you apparently missed the shared-mime-info package.

Add the following, logout and log back in.  Things should work
afterwards.

http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/shared-mime-info

...and the hicolor-icon-theme is another one that gets overlooked, but
there's at least one package that will complain if you're missing this
(unlike shared-mime-info).

http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/icon-theme

Some people seem to be trying to use the 2.4.x module list to build
with, which will mess ya up because some of the modules have been rolled
into other packages now (notably, bonobo-activation).  Until the book
gets updated, follow the list at the following URL with a little common
sense and you'll be fine:

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.6/notes/rninstallation.html

Render, Xrender, and Xfs can be ignored if you have XFree86 4.3.0 or
newer and yes, neither hicolor-icon-theme nor shared-mime-info are
currently listed there.

              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org