GNOME 2.6.0 problems

S. Park sf_park at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 10 20:44:41 PDT 2004

--- Dagmar d'Surreal <dagmar.wants at nospam.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 08:24, David Jensen wrote:
> > S. Park wrote:
> > > My system is LFS-5.0 based, its kernel is 2.6.5,
> and
> > > apps are close to BLFS-5.0. I have been running
> GNOME
> > > 2.4.2 and tried to upgrade to 2.6.0. But when
> running
> > > 2.6.0, I have encountered some problems:
> > >
> > > 1. yelp can't display contents in the browser,
> but
> > > opens an editor (geditor or emacs) for the
> content xml
> > > file.
> > > 2. Can't change the background because the
> dialog
> > > refuses to accept the image files I select.
> > > 3. "Start Here" desktop icon seems not
> recognized
> > > because xml file stuff is displayed instead of
> its
> > > icon.
> > > 4. Card games can't run since they can't load
> card
> > > images.
> > >
> > > I followed the same procedures to install GNOME
> 2.4.2,
> > > and tried both to upgrade and to install (after
> > > deleting its /usr/GNOME tree), but the same
> problems.
> > >
> > > Can anybody figure out what I missed or made
> mistakes?
> > >
> > I have all the same errors from the RC2 release
> and now
> > the real release.  Also
> > 5.  Quit dont quit and locks up the panel :(
> > and many more.  I have had no success at fixing,
> hopefully Larry et.
> > al.  will work it out.
>
> Do me a small favor to help speed this up.  I think
> I know what your
> problems are, but create a dummy account with an
> _empty_ home directory
> and start Gnome using that account.  Open Nautilus
> (the Start Here link
> is deprecated by the way, it shouldn't even appear)
> and make sure that
> the four icons inside actually work--then report
> back.
> --
> The email address above is phony because my penis is
> already large enough, kthx.
>               AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber:
> evilDagmar at jabber.org
>
> --

I did as you sugegsted and the behaviors of the 4
icons  when double clicked are as follows:

1. Computer -> Filesystem.desktop and Network.desktop
-> "No application is associated"
2. "User".Home -> Desktop -> Starthere.desktop (3)
3. Starthere.desktop -> gedit shows the contents.
4. Trash -> Shows files if exist.

Regarding "shelton at onr.com" question: I am quite sure
to satisfy all the dependency requirements.

Thanks.  S. Park