GNOME 2.6.0 problems

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Sat Apr 10 19:53:30 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 08:24, David Jensen wrote:
> S. Park wrote:
> > My system is LFS-5.0 based, its kernel is 2.6.5, and
> > apps are close to BLFS-5.0. I have been running GNOME
> > 2.4.2 and tried to upgrade to 2.6.0. But when running
> > 2.6.0, I have encountered some problems:
> >
> > 1. yelp can't display contents in the browser, but
> > opens an editor (geditor or emacs) for the content xml
> > file.
> > 2. Can't change the background because the dialog
> > refuses to accept the image files I select.
> > 3. "Start Here" desktop icon seems not recognized
> > because xml file stuff is displayed instead of its
> > icon.
> > 4. Card games can't run since they can't load card
> > images.
> >
> > I followed the same procedures to install GNOME 2.4.2,
> > and tried both to upgrade and to install (after
> > deleting its /usr/GNOME tree), but the same problems.
> >
> > Can anybody figure out what I missed or made mistakes?
> >
> I have all the same errors from the RC2 release and now
> the real release.  Also
> 5.  Quit dont quit and locks up the panel :(
> and many more.  I have had no success at fixing, hopefully Larry et.
> al.  will work it out.

Do me a small favor to help speed this up.  I think I know what your
problems are, but create a dummy account with an _empty_ home directory
and start Gnome using that account.  Open Nautilus (the Start Here link
is deprecated by the way, it shouldn't even appear) and make sure that
the four icons inside actually work--then report back.
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org