DHCP clients

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Apr 6 05:54:45 PDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Bryan Mason wrote:

> Randy McMurchy wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> [--snip--]
>
> > So, question 1:
> >
> > The BLFS book shows two different packages that can be used to set
> > up a DHCP client: 1)DHCP-3.0pl2 and 2)dhcpcd-1.3.22pl4
> >
> > Which one should I use?
> >
> > Question 2:
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience doing what I'm doing, and they're
> > willing to share? I looked through all the hints and searched the
> > mail archives, and didn't really find anything about attaching
> > Linux to the 'net via broadband cable.
> >
> > Though this should be a no-brainer, I thought I'd just throw this
> > out on the mail list to see if there's any advice anyone has.
>
> I've used both of these clients.  I was running dhcpcd on SuSE before I
> built my own LFS system, and now I'm using DHCP-3.0pl1.  I liked the
> DHCP version better becuase I thought the scripting capabilities were
> better than dhcpcd.  I'm connected to the Internet via Comcast broadband
> cable.

 I'm also running DHCP-3.0pl1 on LFS-3.3.  In the ifconfig.eth1 file
(eth0 on my box has a local static address) I have

ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_PROG=/sbin/dhclient # ok, that bit was pretty obvious
# this tries to get a lease at first go, trying for one minute
# - if this fails, there is probably a problem with the cable
# network (this option may not be optimal!)
DHCP_START='eth1 -1'
DHCP_STOP='-r'

You'll also need socket filtering in the kernel config, and of course
ipmasquerading if this is going to be your gateway for other boxes.

Ken