Kde 3.2.1 crashing on startup - help please!

Simon simon at webfish.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 01:49:35 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I hope someone can help.

My problem is as follows:

Yesterday I decided to install kde 3.2.1 from source on my LFS based box.

I downloaded the KDE source packages and installed all of the appropriate
prerequistes without issues.

As per previous recommendations, I installed qt-copy from the KDE cvs.

I then compiled kdelibs, kdebase and various apps as per instructions. I used
no weird compiler optimisations (i.e. only -march=i686 -mcpu=i686).

My ./configure options were:

--disable-debug --disable-dependency-tracking --with-alsa
--enable-fast-malloc=full --prefix=/opt/kde-3.2.1

When this compile had finished I thought "cool, i can start that nice new
kde!". I added startkde to my .xinitrc file and fired up. This was the
result; virtually EVERYTHING crashed (segfault?) on startup and could not get
any more than a grey screen with a cursor.

Here is a copy of the startkde output:

<startkde output>

startkde: Starting up...
ksplash: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name
passed to the constructor!
KCrash: Application 'ksplash' crashing...
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
kbuildsycoca running...
KCrash: Application 'kcminit' crashing...
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (-3)
KCrash: Application 'kwin' crashing...
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-741' to 'kdesktop'
ERROR: Communication problem with kdesktop, it probably crashed.
KCrash: Application 'kdesktop' crashing...
DCOP aborting (delayed) call from 'anonymous-743' to 'kicker'
ERROR: Communication problem with kicker, it probably crashed.
KCrash: Application 'kicker' crashing...
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-746' to 'klipper'
ERROR: Communication problem with klipper, it probably crashed.
KCrash: Application 'klipper' crashing...
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-748' to 'ktip'
ERROR: Communication problem with ktip, it probably crashed.
KCrash: Application 'ktip' crashing...          <<---- it basically hung here
so after
knotify: Fatal IO error: client killed          a while i did
ctrl-alt-backspace in X
kded: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
ksmserver: Fatal IO error: client killed
klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit: Exit.
Hangup
startkde: Shutting down...
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.
</startkde output>