DHCP clients

Bryan Mason bmason at bmason.com
Mon Apr 5 17:25:25 PDT 2004

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> Hi all,

[--snip--]

> So, question 1:
>
> The BLFS book shows two different packages that can be used to set
> up a DHCP client: 1)DHCP-3.0pl2 and 2)dhcpcd-1.3.22pl4
>
> Which one should I use?
>
> Question 2:
>
> Does anyone have any experience doing what I'm doing, and they're
> willing to share? I looked through all the hints and searched the
> mail archives, and didn't really find anything about attaching
> Linux to the 'net via broadband cable.
>
> Though this should be a no-brainer, I thought I'd just throw this
> out on the mail list to see if there's any advice anyone has.

I've used both of these clients.  I was running dhcpcd on SuSE before I
built my own LFS system, and now I'm using DHCP-3.0pl1.  I liked the
DHCP version better becuase I thought the scripting capabilities were
better than dhcpcd.  I'm connected to the Internet via Comcast broadband
cable.

It's been a while since I've had to tweak the system, so I can't give
you a run-down of what I did to get it work, but I'd be more than happy
to answer any questions or send you any of my scripts.  I'm running LFS
3.3, so the scripts might be a little out of date, but they should get
you moving in the right direction.

Feel free to e-mail me via the list or personally with any questions.

-- Bryan