BLFS-5.0 Courier-0.43.2 Make Install error

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Thu Apr 1 05:57:06 PST 2004

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, JazerNorth wrote:

> Jim Gifford wrote:
> > Upgrade 0.45.2, that 0.43.2 has a security problem. Try this to make sure
> > bin works
> > touch test && chown bin test
> >
> I found the in the LFS book the requirements for bin, and added the user
> using the following:
>
> useradd -u 1 -g bin -d /bin -s /bin/sh bin
> groupadd -g 1 bin

I don't think you really want a full login-capable bin user. And
shouldn't need a home dir either. All you *should* need is the entries
in the passwd, shadow (depends) and group files. If courier demands
a login shell, home dir, etc. , it is seriously broken, IMO.

> Hope that helps someone else add the user bin to their users so they can
> install Courier.
>
> By the way, it installed once I upgraded and added the user bin.
>
> Enjoy.
>
> JN

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet