"su" is not found problem

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Fri Sep 26 15:16:18 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 17:41, Edgar Alwers wrote:
> On Friday 26 September 2003 18:38, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> >
> >  In these
> > cases it is KDM that must be configured to set the PATH properly.  The
> > gui utility does not invoke bash to execute su, so it's not about to
> > care what you set the PATH to in any of the .bash* files.
>
> Allright, Dagmar. but please, where should I start ?
> /opt/kde/kde3-share/config/kdm/kdemrc ? There are plenty of commands there,
> but no one PATH one !
> Or /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession ? There are also not PATH commands there.
> And last but not least, should BLFS not give a clear hint on this issue?
> And why am only I complaining in this days about a problem ? What did I wrong
> ?
> Helph is beeing highly appreciated, thank you very much.

Well, it's likely that you're one of the few people with the library
installed to do that, OR you've just erred slightly and forgotten to
install su into the proper places, as there's a pretty good chance it's
being invoked with a path of /usr/bin/su or /bin/su.

As to where you'd set the path for KDM, you'll have to read the man
pages for that because I can't tell you (maybe someone else here
knows).  I don't use KDM--only XDM and GDM.
--
The email address above is phony because the people making archives of list
traffic publicly available on the web aren't taking measures to protect the
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org