Radeon DRI Problems

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Mon Sep 22 20:37:09 PDT 2003

DJ Lucas wrote:

> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>

>> (WW) RADEON(0): [agp] AGP not available
>>
>> and
>>
>> (II) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
>>
>> Has anyone on the list seen this problem?  Or even better, found a
>> solution?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>  -- Bruce
>>

> I've never seen that one, not that I remember anyhow.  From a quick
> glance, only a guess, you didn't compile the agp driver for your
> chipset.  You know a lot more about X than I however, so I doubt that
> is the case, but sometimes obvious errors help jog the memory to find
> the bigger ones.  Does /dev/dri/card0 exist maybe???  I'm working
> right now with a KT333 and XP 1800+ and RadeonVE (7000).

Well, its good to ask some obvious questions, so I went a checked.  I do
have a /dev/dri/card0 and the permissions are 0666.  I am also setting
this up as a system coming straight from RedHat, so I used their .config
when compiling the kernel.  They (and I) do have agpgart set as a
module, VIA chipset support built in and ATI Rage 128 and Radeon drivers
set as modules.

I think everying is right, but I may have overlooked something else.

I do think I'll go back and reinstall RH and add XFree86 support to see
if it works there.

  -- Bruce