Ram Drive

Nickolaos Fotopoulos weasel at beyondnormal.org
Mon Sep 22 18:00:56 PDT 2003

On Monday 22 September 2003 07:46 pm, Archaic wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 07:40:08PM -0400, Nick Matteo wrote:
> > I'd just like to know if it's possible at all and if someone could
> > point me on the right track...
>
> Yes, it's possible. Back in the LFS-3.x days I used to build chapter 5
> on a ramdisk. FAST!! Of course, the size requirements were less back
> then. :) As far as pointers, I would look to the readonly_rootfs,
> bootcd*, and initrd hints for suggestions. They will give you an idea
> how to do it. It's really not that hard.
>
> --
> Archaic
>
> "The state calls its own violence `law', but that of the individual
> `crime'"
>
> - Max Stirner

Eventually your gonna have to write back to disk for permanent storage.  What
happens if you loose power suddenly?  I suppose that for day to day
operations; bin, lib and config dirs that don't really change often could
give you a boost, but would it be enough to make it worth your while?

RAM is so cheap now I don't understand why they don't start making solidstate
drives.  If you can get a 1GB+ compact flash for your digital camera why
can't they make something similar to be used as permenant internal storage.

Nick