kudzu

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Sep 13 14:35:59 PDT 2003

I haven't played with kudzu much since my last post - but it probably
will be some time before I have it hacked up enough to be useful for
blfs.

I have it detecting and setting up network cards (though I have not
tried migrating settings - as when you change a card - I'm guessing
that's broken) but that looks like it is teh easiest part to get working
right (and I don't have kudzu set up the nic - it just created a generic
device configuration file with ONBOOT set to no - and updates
/etc/modules.conf)

The reason why I said I didn't like kudzu before has raised its ugly
head. For mouse stuff, sound stuff, video stuff, etc. etc. it wants
binaries that are from a redhat system.

In the case of NIC's it easy for me to make a shell script substitute -
Red Hat when it finds a new nic will launch a seperate app to configure
it, for that seperate app I just set a shell script that creates the
file (it does a safety check to make sure it doesn't exist - and then
cat's generic settings to the file).

That's good enough for me - a gui tool like gnome-setup-tools can be
used later to set it up properly. Or emacs ;)

But mouse, printer, video, etc. looks like they are more complicated to
do and do right.

I might try to port some of these red hat tools on over, but I'd rather
not - I'd rather find solutions that are not distro specific.

also - if you grep for "chkconfig" in the source to kudzu you get lots
of hits - not a problem for me (I use chkconfig) but for an LFS hint,
whatever kudzu does with chkconfig would have to be ported to LFS style.
So maybe kudzu isn't the best solution.  Which is kind of disapointing -
after all these years, there still is not a good distro independent
hardware detection mechanism.  Mandrake was working one but it looks
like now they have integrated it into mandrake specific package :(